Fly Fishing Schools & Classes
Check out what fly fishing is all about with one of our group classes or schools. We’re confident you will love it! From our 101 courses to our species-specific programs, Tailwaters offers fun and educational group instruction to support you where you’re at in your fly fishing journey and get you to the next level. All ages welcome - including kids! Give us a call to schedule your fly fishing school or class.
FLY FISHING 101 (Spring/Summer ONLY)
Fly fishing in Texas? You’re darn right! Here at Tailwaters, we are crazy about fly fishing – let us introduce you to your next passion with one of our Fly Fishing 101 group classes. We will cover the fundamentals of casting, demonstrate how to play, fight, and land a fish, walk through basic gear-assembly techniques, and demonstrate how to tie a few knots – all in only two hours!
No gear? No worries! As part of the cost of the class, Fly Fishing 101 students receive a Redington Field Kit (rod, reel, line, and travel case) of their choice. The field kit is ready to fish, just add a fly! Check out our course schedule and reach out to register! You’ll leave with the skills and knowledge to build a solid, starting foundation for your fly angling journey, and meet new friends with similar interests. Here’s what you can expect:
- Schedule: Check out our class schedule and find a date that works for you. Our classes run on Saturdays from 8AM-10AM at the shop, with a maximum of twelve (12) students per class. Give us a call to secure your spot.
- Arrival: We recommend arriving at the shop a few minutes before your scheduled class. We aim to start promptly at 8AM to maximize our education and instruction time.
- Class: We divide our class into two sections: (1) in-shop education, and (2) outdoor casting. We start with the basics! Your instructor will walk you through your Redington Field Kit, show you how the equipment pieces together, explain the mechanics, review flys and knots, and discuss hooking, fighting, landing, and releasing fish. Then it’s time to cast! We all felt awkward holding a fly rod for the first time – but every cast or drill gets you more comfortable. We will show you how to hold the rod, how the rod and line work together, and casting techniques to set you up for fishing on your own.
- Wrap-Up: The journey doesn’t end there. Stick around for a few minutes and we can walk you through the shop. Got a bass pond nearby or have a destination trip in the future? Your instructor can recommend products to set you up for success. And to properly welcome you to the Tailwaters family, each student receives a special gift at the conclusion of their class.
We love sharing our passion and can’t wait to walk alongside you on your fly fishing journey. From education, to equipment, to exploration, we offer a 360 degree program to service anglers of all ages and levels. Let’s go!
All classes run from 8AM-10AM, with time for questions and walking around the store afterwards. Maximum of twelve (12) students per class.
May 27 - Trout Specific
June 3 - Saltwater Specific
June 24 - Trout Specific
Includes your choice Redington Field Kit and a Tailwaters gift. Beverages are also provided.
- 5wt Trout Setup - includes rod, reel, fly line, and leader
- 7wt Bass Setup - includes rod, reel, fly line, and leader
- 8wt Bonefish/Redfish Setup - includes rod, reel, fly line, and leader
LARGEMOUTH BASS ON THE FLY SCHOOL
Ready to get out on the water? North Texas has abundant bass fishing opportunities and we’re here to help get you dialed in. Our bass fishing school is an awesome way to learn the basics of fly fishing, the particulars about fly fishing for bass, and catch some fish at the same time. Led by expert instructors who have spent years teaching people how to cast and fish, our Largemouth Bass on the Fly school will prepare you for targeting these gamefish on your local waters. Here’s what to expect:
- Schedule: Check out our three-part school schedule and give us a call to secure your spot. Our school hosts a maximum of eight (8) students.
- Class Instruction: We start our bass school with a class instruction on a Saturday morning. The class is divided into two sections: (1) in-shop education, and (2) outdoor casting. Your instructor will walk you through the various pieces of equipment, discuss terminal tackle, talk bass behavior, review effective bass flies and knots, and explain hooking, fighting, landing, and releasing these gamefish. Then it’s time to cast! Your instructor will show you how to hold the rod, how the rod and line work together, and casting techniques from getting the fly in the water, to working the fly, to setting the hook, to landing the fish. Now you’re ready!
- Gear Up: The Thursday night before we fish, Tailwaters will host a happy hour to get you geared up for your day on the water. Stop by, have a drink, mingle with the other students, and grab your next pair of polarized sunglasses or personal fly box. Already have your own gear? Bring it in and let us make sure it’s good to go. And let’s get ready to fish.
- Let’s Fish: It’s go time. We will meet Saturday morning for a full day of bass fishing. Equipment, lunch, and instructors will be provided for the culmination of our Largemouth Bass on the Fly school. If you would like to bring your own gear, please do so!
2023 Bass School:
April 22: Class Instruction 8AM-10AM
May 4: Pre-Trip Happy Hour 6PM-8PM
May 6: On the Water Guided Trip 7AM-3PM [times may change]
Call for Pricing
Includes the following as part of the Largemouth Bass on the Fly School:
- Two hours of group instruction
- Private happy hour for students
- Full day guided bass fishing trip, lunch included
Can’t make the school? Book a LOCAL GUIDED TRIP on a day that works for you.